The lions head pendant was a belt buckle I found at vintage shop in Tucson. I sawed off the belt buckle parts and fortunately was able to use two open areas at the top to attach the necklace. I knew I had to select beads that could stand up to the pendant but not overwhelm it in any way. They both needed to respect each other, kind of like a jewelry component detente. The contemporary dZi beads had the same level of wildness, the black beads calmed that wildness back down.
I used brass wire to join everything together. The pendant is a little on the heavy side, so security was one consideration. I wasn’t trusting this to crimps. I also like the addition of a second metal color into the piece. I don’t think silver tones wire would have worked as well. Now in the new shop.