I made the bottom part of these pendants last week. Both were made by cutting circles out of old library cards, creating a tiny row of stitches with embroidery floss, and then adding an additional element – in one case a tiny pin and a button in the other – and then sealing it all with resin.
They have been sitting on my work table ever since. Yesterday the thought came to me to make some button chain for the one with the red thread. I just opened a jump ring, added a tiny white shank button and closed it. And then linked multiples together until it was the length I wanted.
For the one with pink thread, the idea came to stitch several layers of muslin together with more embroidery thread. I got the tearing and stitching done and then looked at the piece needing a way to keep it from flopping over and needing a way to attach the pendant and other elements that will create the necklace.
I decided a simple solution would be to create a brass plate the same size as the fabric, drill holes in it – one at the bottom and two at the top – glue the fabric to the metal, and then use jump rings both to provide a second method of securing the two together and to allow other pieces to be attached. After a bit of a tussle, I got brass wire through all of the layers of fabric and through the brass and attached the pendant. The holes at the top are covered up by fabric right now. I will attach wire in a similar manner to them. The fabric is sealed with Fray Check and the whole thing has become rather sturdy.
I have no idea where I am going with these pieces next. None. I am not worried about it. I will enjoy looking at them on my work table and an idea will come.